BoardSource has been fielding governance-related questions posed by nonprofit leaders for over 30 years. Here are the answers to those questions most frequently asked about board dynamics and processes. Read the article.
In this article:
- How can we become a more accountable organization?
- What are the signs of a “bad” board member?
- How can the chair and the chief executive work together productively?
- What should I do if I don’t agree with a board decision?
- Should we have board member contracts?
- What are honorary board members, or board members emeriti?
- What is the average size of a nonprofit board of directors?
- What is the most common term length for board members?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of term limits?
- Should outsiders serve on nonprofit board of directors committees?
- What is a zero-based committee structure?
- Should nonprofit boards have executive committees?
- Do boards need personnel committees?
- Can staff perform the board secretary’s role?
- Should the board participate in hiring senior staff?
- Should we allow our board members to take sabbaticals?
- What can we do to prevent conflict-of-interest situations?