Website Digital NEST, Inc.
Full-Time: 40 hours a week, 100% FTE
Compensation: $22.12 – $32.69 per hour, non-exempt
Benefits Overview: Medical, vision, dental and life insurance, vacation and sick time off, paid federal holidays, and retirement plan (See full job description for more details).
Organization Size: 50+ employees
Reports to: Associate Director, bizzNEST Web & Design
Location(s): Stockton, CA
Digital NEST is a workforce development center that has welcomed hundreds of youth from working class, farmworker communities to develop the technical and professional skills they need to achieve their dreams. The NEST is proud to be a great place to get your career started and/or to expand your career to the next level. It is an exciting time for the NEST as we are on the precipice of expanding to a total of five communities across Northern California by the end of 2026. Digital NEST has centers in the heart of Watsonville, Salinas, and Gilroy. The first Digital NEST in the Central Valley is expected to launch in Stockton in 2023, with plans to scale across the Bay Area and San Joaquin Valley also underway.
The bizzNEST Designer will lead web and graphic design projects for bizzNEST clients. This role will participate throughout the life of the project, assisting with project intake and scoping, task assignments, communicating with clients, and reviewing work. On occasion the Designer will be responsible for completing assignments on graphic and/or web design projects as necessary. Including website design, Visual identity systems, and print graphics.
The Designer also provides support with tracking the technical and professional skill development of the bizzNEST web and graphic design interns. They are also responsible for ensuring that projects assigned to the team are completed in high quality throughout all the phases of the project’s timeline and delivered to the client in a timely manner.
Project Coordination (40%)
- Attend client intake meetings to co-develop project scopes.
- Collaborate with staff and lead interns in designing visual materials for client projects, including UI/UX work.
- Support the completion of delegated projects and ensure interns meet project milestones.
- Review intern work and offer feedback to support their development.
- Assess challenges and adjust the project timeline within the project’s original scope of work.
- Respond to client needs and requests via email and/or phone
- Collaborate with the associate director and the Web developer to manage daily operations
- Create production plans, assign tasks to team, and manage projects in Asana
Design Work (20%)
- Produce deliverables for marketing clients such as social media graphics and print materials.
- Provide art direction on special projects as assigned. Including prepping project briefs. Creating Style / Branding guides, and supervising intern work on said projects.
- Produce design work independently on assigned projects
- Complete client work as necessary to maintain project timelines and quality standards.
- Keep up-to-date with new web and design software and trends.
Intern Development (25%)
- Create and implement training for interns.
- Support interns in updating their portfolios and resumes.
- Assist the associate director in overseeing the professional development process for design interns
- Onboard, train and support new interns.
- Conduct one-on-one coaching sessions with interns as necessary
- Assist with intern recruitment. Coordinate with programming staff to cultivate member engagement and preparedness for internships.
- Provide general support to fundraising efforts expected of all staff: showcase members and member work, speak articulately about programming and be a model representative and evangelist for Digital NEST in the community
- Performs other duties and tasks assigned by their supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or a related field
- At least 2 years of relevant design experience
- Strong design skills and proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Figma
- Experience with the WordPress and UX/UI concepts
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and mentor interns
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate with others
- Demonstrated competency in web and graphic design project development such as: creating and following project timelines, milestones and tasks, and identifying technical challenges.
- Conversational or fluent in spoken Spanish and/or fluent in written Spanish
- Familiarity with responsive design principles
- Experience with creating and formatting graphics for social media platforms
- Passion for the mission of Digital NEST and belief in upholding organization’s core values.
- Sensitive to issues of culture/ethnicity/race, gender, sexual identity, class/SES and immigration status
- Ability to be an ally to people of color, women and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer, questioning and intersex individuals and their allies (LGBTQIA).
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license, pass a background check, and be able to travel and work evenings or weekends occasionally, or as needed
- Must live in the location, this is NOT a remote job.
NOTE: The job offer will be contingent upon the successful completion and passing of a background check.
ABOUT OUR BENEFITS: We take a holistic approach to wellness, physical, emotional, and financial. Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- 100% Agency Paid Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance for the employee
- SIMPLE IRA Retirement Benefit with up to 2% employer match
- 10 Paid Vacation Days for Full-time Employees (non-Director and non-Chief positions) and 15 Paid Vacation Days for Full-time Employees (Director and Chief positions)
- 13 Paid Holidays Annually Plus Business closure/holiday the week between Christmas Day and New Years Day
- Paid Sick Time Off
- Annual Parking Permit
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of dedication, impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role and encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for. We also know that diversity of background and thought makes for better problem-solving and more creative thinking, so we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team. We look forward to hearing from you.
Digital NEST, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Digital NEST is also committed to an inclusive experience for all applicants and will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodations in the interview process, to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
To apply for this job please visit digitalnest.applytojob.com.