Website Arts Council Santa Cruz County
We nurture and invest in artists, culture, and the arts.
Title: Executive Assistant
Supervisor: Executive Director
Schedule: 20 hours/week, Monday and Wednesday, 11am to 5pm, remaining hours flexible
Salary & Benefits: $22-24 per hour, part-time, non-exempt position. A flexible, family-friendly schedule. Prorated vacation days, sick days, and paid holidays.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Our Vision: We envision a Santa Cruz County where all artists have access to the resources they need to thrive; where a full range of creative expression is accessible to everyone; and the arts are recognized for their essential contributions to a healthy, vibrant, and representative community.
The Job: We’re looking for a detail-oriented and self-motivated Jill/Jack of all nonprofit trades with strong administrative skills, excellent follow-through, and an interest in learning on the job. A well-organized person who can prioritize and juggle multiple deadline-driven tasks will thrive in this position. The Executive Assistant provides support with human resources and coordinates administrative projects. Staffing the Santa Cruz office front desk, creating a spirit of welcome and service by greeting guests, answering phones, and responding to inquiries will also be part of this position. The description below reflects the general nature of the position, acknowledging that projects will pop up along the way based on organizational needs and your interests, skills, and abilities.
Executive Support – 45%
- Calendar meetings, make travel arrangements, and file expense reports
- Create board meeting packets, including information gathering, memo writing, and packet assembly and distribution
- Coordinate board meeting logistics
- Maintain board and committee rosters and coordinate on- and off-boarding of board members
- Research and other project work to support the Executive Director
General Administration – 5%
- Be our front desk warm welcome two days per week
- Stay abreast of what’s happening across the organization to route or answer inquiries directly ○
- Calendar holidays
Human Resources – 45%
- Coordinate on-and off-boarding of employees
- Work with Finance & Operations Director on policy changes
- Manage human resource files (updating, reviewing, etc.)
- Create and update templates, forms, and guides
- Respond to employee questions regarding our Employee Handbook and Quickbooks Workforce and Time
- Calendar birthdays and work anniversaries; coordinate gifts
Fiscal Sponsorship – 5%
- Maintain the fiscal sponsorship program guide for sponsees
- Review and renew all fiscal sponsorship contracts annually
- Meet annually/as needed with each sponsee to discuss their needs and continuation with the program
- Coordinate on- and off-boarding of fiscal sponsees
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Well-organized and detail-oriented
- At least four years in an office setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with high professionalism, humor, and grace
- Comfort managing up – i.e. helping direct/prioritize your supervisor’s work as necessary
- Curiosity and interest in learning, especially in regard to nonprofit operations
- Self-directed with a passion for (or at least great satisfaction in) meeting goals and deadlines
- Solid writing skills
- Open communicator, unafraid to ask questions
- High expectations for quality
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Google Suite and MS Office
- Some human resource experience
- Experience with Asana a plus!
Who We Are: For 40+ years, Arts Council Santa Cruz County has led the charge to support the unique, ever-evolving Santa Cruz County arts community. We’re passionate advocates for the arts and the organizations and people who make art happen. We believe in the power of the arts to transform our community, and our daily work of art reflects that belief. Our staff and board team are deeply committed to and fired up about our mission to nurture and invest in artists, culture, and the arts throughout Santa Cruz County.
What It’s Like To Work With Us: We operate a highly collaborative and supportive workplace where the staff is largely self-directed. We all have the opportunity and are expected to contribute not just to our own work but also to the strategic direction of the organization. We work hard, we have fun. We take responsibility for mistakes and celebrate successes. We live and breathe by our core values: collaborative, adaptable, innovative, service-oriented, and effectively and professionally run. A sense of humor and a compassionate disposition are essential. The Arts Council is an award-winning, Family-Friendly Workplace, and we love our work. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked. Most importantly, we are all here to be of service to the arts and to our community.
And Now for Something Completely Different: The ideal candidate will have most of the skills outlined in this job description. However, if you beautifully fit most, but not all, of the bill, apply anyway. In either case, be clear about your strengths and interests in your cover letter. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Arts Council Santa Cruz County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to providing services and making resources available to every resident of Santa Cruz County without regard to ethnicity, color, creed, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, political opinion, national origin, familial status, mental and physical disability, or source of income.
To Apply: Please email your resume and a cover letter in one PDF outlining your interest and fit for the position to email@example.com. Please title your email and the PDF with this naming convention: Your last name – EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT. In your cover letter, please do not restate information we’ll find in your resume. Tell us why this opportunity lights your fire and why you would be a fantastic addition to the Arts Council Santa Cruz County team. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications accepted on a rolling basis/ready to hire immediately. Arts Council Santa Cruz County offices are closed December 23-January 3. Interviews will not be conducted during that period, but applications will still be accepted.
Arts Council Santa Cruz County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to providing services and making resources available to every resident of Santa Cruz County without regard to ethnicity, color, creed, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, political opinion, national origin, familial status, mental and physical disability, or source of income.